About Me

My photo
My name is Autumn. I was born on Earth in the year 3012. When I was eleven years old, my parents disappeared - forcing me and my little brother Ben (but I call him Scrub) across the galaxy to Allied-IV to live with my Grandparents. My best friend Frankie, is a ghost, which has made life both interesting and difficult. I'm happy to have my grandparents - Papa Ralph and Gramma Bea - but I have never given up hope that one day I will find my parents and this nightmare will be over. This is my story...or at least part of it.

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Chapter One - continued

   "There," she said in a matter-of-fact tone, proud of the difficult unassisted space-dock she just successfully completed, "safe and sound as promised."  Autumn removed her harness, which had been preventing her from floating out of the pilot's chair when operating in low gravity conditions.  Slowly she drifted upwards, pushing herself along the center console, and floated gently towards the rear of the flight station.  Frankie, the ghostly image of a young man only she could see and hear - a wide smile spread across his face - floated next to her.

   "Nice job," said Frankie.

   She smiled back.  Frankie's protectiveness and unwavering friendship helped Autumn find the courage and strength to make it through the past two years.  It was Frankie who had been her best friend after her parents disappeared and she, along with her little brother Bennie, were forced to move to Allied-IV, the outermost of the many Alliance colonies spread across the galaxy.  Allied-IV was also the very planet where, high above its lush colorful forests and turquoise-blue rivers, her father and Mr. Diem along with the remnants of their squadron ended the Great Merlotian War twenty years earlier.

   "Mister Stevens, Miss Gibson," Mr. Diem called in to the ships intercom, "meet us at the port hatch in two minutes.  Stand by for artificial gravity, coming on line...now."  The thick cushioned soles of his boots landed softly against the hard floor of the bridge as the ship's gravity generator reached full speed.

   "Roger that Boss."  Gary's voice cracked from the speaker hidden inside the main control panel.  Over the last several weeks aboard the Destiny's Shadow, since the group left the Brig Ha'am system, Gary had proven himself to Mr. Diem in many ways.  The former special forces officer turned middle school principal had become impressed with Gary's willingness to learn.  His skill with a weapon, as well as his being able to keep pace - almost - with Autumn in their physical conditioning exercises improved daily.  Mr. Diem made had made good use of the time they had while tracking her father's bio-signal across deep space, ensuring the three teenagers in his charge kept in shape both physically and mentally.  Even Sam, the mousy haired girl whom Autumn had previously considered her only flesh-and-blood friend had shown surprising improvement and resourcefulness.  Even more impressive to Mr. Diem, as he liked to point out, was the unexpected decrease in her usual amount of sarcastic comments and complaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment