About Me

My photo
My name is Autumn. I was born on Earth in the year 3012. When I was eleven years old, my parents disappeared - forcing me and my little brother Ben (but I call him Scrub) across the galaxy to Allied-IV to live with my Grandparents. My best friend Frankie, is a ghost, which has made life both interesting and difficult. I'm happy to have my grandparents - Papa Ralph and Gramma Bea - but I have never given up hope that one day I will find my parents and this nightmare will be over. This is my story...or at least part of it.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Opening paragraphs - Book Two

CHAPTER ONE

  "Come around behind her," Mr. Diem directed from the co-pilot's position on board the Destiny's Shadow, coaching the dark-haired teenage girl who sat in the pilot's seat next to him.  He pointed through the transparent canopy at one of hundreds of enormous transport and cargo ships lumbering around them.  He watched Autumn nervously, wiping away the small beads of sweat forming on his dark face with the sleeve of his flight suit, as she maneuvered the ship through the overcrowded space surrounding the Vigilant.  The giant, spinning space station - once a powerful Alliance Navy outpost, now an icon of lust and greed, owned by some anonymous private corporation outside the influence of the Alliance - loomed in front of them.  "Easy.  That's it."

  "Come on Mr. D," said Autumn, moaning sarcastically.  She did not take offense in the directions and fatherly guidance Mr. Diem was obsessed with giving her.  She knew he trusted her and her piloting skills, which she had learned from his best friend...her father.  "You're starting to sound like Papa Ralph."

  "I'll take that as a compliment," he replied.

  Autumn guided the ship alongside the giant space station, effortlessly flying through thousands of protruding docking ports that dotted the outer hull of the Vigilant.  Following the instructions from the stations landing control officer, she rolled the sleek craft over the padded, oval-shaped seal of docking port number 32-6-3827.  Small bursts of air escaped through microscopic holes along the edge of the seal, equalizing the pressure between the Destiny's Shadow  and the Vigilant.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you enjoyed the first few paragraphs of Book Two (tentatively title "Faces of Treason". I will post more of the story as things progress..but of course, I can't give away the entire story.
    If you haven't already, follow the link below to pick up your copy of "Destiny's Shadow: An Autumn Snow Adventure - Book One" to read more about Autumn's incredible journey and events that lead to book two.
    With highest regards and gratitude,
    Damon L. Duncan

    ReplyDelete